Saturday, June 04, 2005

I hate offers

I hate offers. Truly do.

Went to Waterstone's yesterday. They had the '3 for 2' offers, as usual, but this month the selections are awesome! (Which is bad, bad, BAD news for me - and my pocket!)

And thus, I spent three-quarters of an hour deciding between 5 books. The person who worked at the bookstore was very amused seing me in action - I walked up and down the aisles several times, picking up books and then putting them down again and then returning to the same spot as I changed my mind for the gazillionth time. Of course, you can argue that I might as well pick a sixth, so then it would be '6 for 4'. But there were 2 arguments against that; the first being that my bookshelf can't fit anymore books (I had to discard some - well, give it to charity) and secondly I could hear my debit card crying - have been spending quite a bit this month.

In the end I chose Eddings' 'The Treasured One' and Lian Hearn's 'Brilliance of the Moon : Book 3 of the Otori' over Jodi Picoult's 'My Sister's Keeper' and Philippa Gordon's 'The Virgin's Lover'.

I know my sister is gonna flip for not buying the last book. Really sorry Yana, but I DID see that book on sale at a lower price at British Sussex Bookstore. And I will get it for you, I promise.

Nowadays, buying books in the UK (when there are offers) are much cheaper than buying them back home in Malaysia. It's becoming quite an expensive hobby; the book prices are ridiculous! So much for trying to encourage Malaysians to read.

Another company who's getting quite a lot of funding from me for its annual dinner this year is Amazon.co.uk. There are quite a few good bargains online. Of course, I never buy dvds of the latest movies and such. I buy mostly period dramas (e.g. BBC's Pride and Prejudice; ITV's Emma) and musicals e.g My Fair Lady. And if you're patient enough, they'd sell some good movies at low prices. Bought 50 First Dates for 7 quid. (Oh yeah, Robin Hood Extended Version is on offer again!!). Strangely enough, I almost never buy DVDs of movies that I've never seen before. I only buy the ones I know I'd enjoy and watch over and over again.

And so, my DVD collection is also growing. Don't know how I'm gonna pack all of them up when I have to move out from halls this summer.

I gotta stop buying online!! The evils of having internet connection 24/7 in your room! It's a good thing I'm gonna go back home soon!!

(Note to Yana : I've got your 'Chocolat' already! Will post it on Monday ok? *HUGS*)

2 comments:

kEn said...

Hey hani!

Im so jealous of you because u can buy books at such great deal.. I'm really going to bug you for books when im back in malaysia. Mean while, take care ya!

Hani Izhar said...

Hehe no problem! Just remind me to bring some of my books back to Malaysia!

Hope everything is well with you.

Take care!