Saturday, June 25, 2005

All is well........

Newsflash!!!

I survived through the week!!!

Didn't sleep the night before Friday (well, kalau tido pun sekejap je) to finish the darn SSM. Printed everything by 12 noon, showered, did some photocopying (we had to submit 2 copies) and by 3.30 p.m. Vasan and I were at St. Bartholomew's Hospital. Without much ceremony, we surrendered the very thing that had made our lives miserable for the past one week.

And it felt so good. Oh yeah, it felt REALLY good.

After that, since we were near to Central London, thought we'd take Oxford Circus. Just to window shop.

Then it started raining. Didn't mind though, coz it's been very hot the past one week, sometimes I felt it was even worse than Malaysia. Mostly because people here have not discovered the miraculous invention called 'air-conditioner'.

Hah. Just kidding. I know asking for air-conditioning in student residence is a little bit much.

Anyway I think the only ones who dread summer are people like me who've had sunshine all our lives. People here actually sit on anywhere there's grass, in the sun. There was someone who was actually sunbathing behind the hospital, in the courtyard. Me? I run for the nearest shade.

Can't wait to go home. 3 weeks to go....(2 weeks to exams! Yikes!)

Anyway, next topic. Went to Sainsbury's yesterday, as I was leaving the checkout counter, I saw this man who actually slapped her daughter, who must be about 7 years old for accidentally stepping onto some shopping items. A proper tight slap.

I was quite stunned. I think I just stood and stared for about half a minute. That girl will remember that slap for the rest of her life. Unless, that wasn't the first time. Or the last.

I thank God that my earliest childhood memories are not of anger nor violence from my parents. My mom, who was very strict with my sisters and me when we were very young, spared us by doing all the scolding when we were at home (if ever the offence committed was at somebody's house, that is). Never in public.

Oh, I do believe that children should be punished when they are naughty; they have to be taught what's right and what's wrong and how to behave. Anyone saw 'Desperate Housewives'? Lynette totally refused to spank her children, and as a result, she had 3 very boisterous sons...quite a horror! Nowadays, I feel parents are a little bit too indulgent with their kids. Imagine going for a kenduri and you see children running and climbing everywhere!! What do their parents do? They just glance at their children, saying "Janganlah buat camtu....Along, jaga adik tu..." and then turn around to continue their conversation with other adults while expecting their ten year-old eldest child to make sure his/her sibling(s) behave. Nevermind that the children run up and down the house, destroying absolutely every electrical+electronic item and dirtying every single furniture. They think they've done their parental duty just by attempting to make their children behave like civilized people instead of hooligans.

To parents who are like this, I have something to say to you : Your children are not fit to be brought into society. Please keep them at home so that the only house they wreck is yours. In thinking that sparing your children from any sort of punishment is an act of love, it also shows that you have no respect for your host because you let your young ones behave less than human in his/her home.

Harsh words, I know. But it's also true.

How in the world did I get from being horrified seeing a man slapping his daughter to being less than happy that parents don't discipline their children?

The former - obviously because I saw it happening before my eyes today. Well, about the latter, it's something that's been pent up for quite a while, suddenly feel like letting it out. Have seen too many children (and parents) acting that way. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely ADORE children, but not the ones who are absolute horrors.

I guess it's easy for me to criticize people, not having children of my own (yet). But surely there's a happy balance between disciplining children and not being too free-handed....

Oh well, those are my thoughts on that subject.

Ah, I forgot. I did say I'd do the hula dance on Oxford Street after I give my SSM workbook in, didn't I?

Sorry. It rained, and I was too tired due to lack of sleep this past week that I went back home after only half an hour. Slept on the bus all the way home.

Maybe next time, okay? *winks*

1 comment:

Kit Pryde said...

what? no hula? the rain was just an excuse, sweetheart.

oh, we saw yana off at the airport yesterday. the total for her luggage was 82kg (minus a few for your abah's bag). hehehe.

can't wait to see you. insya-allah we'll be going to Azureen's cukur jambul on the 23rd, so we'll be seeing you there.

oh, and althie will be there too (insya-allah, if he doesn't have to work!)

*hugs*