Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sape nak kurus?

......jadilah houseman kat medical ward.

Weighed myself yesterday, lost abt 6 kg in 1 month. It's so scary!! My clothes all seem loose, the hemline of my jeans and slacks sweep the floor, my watch dangling on my wrist all the time.

Really exhausting work being a medical HO, I can tell you.

Just finished 2 weeks' worth of EOD (every other day) on call, my Raya didn't feel like Raya,
I only come back home to sleep during weekends, only to leave early in the morning for work again.

I love my job (I try to convince myself).

I said before, there are good days, there are bad days. But today I feel a bit whiny, so you hear the horror stories.

Don't think I'm cut out to be a physician. When you have to clerk a patient who comes in with diarrhoea at 3 am in the morning, you wonder perhaps it'll be better if you become a full-time housewife with a medical degree.

Well, I'm not seriously thinking it. At least, not really. No...not really.....hmm....

They say surgical rotation is much more fun. And O&G worse than general medicine.

I SO can't wait.

Speaking positively, I'm learning lots. I do make mistakes sometimes, but I pray all the time that it won't be at the cost of someone's life.

It's a life-and-death business after all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Firstly, Selamat Hari Raya! Really sorry that you had to spend it at work.

Just wanna say, hang in there, babe! Have seen and heard a lot of girls quitting their careers after all the hard work at school.

Not an inspiring thing to see within the sisterhood, if you know what I mean.

Everything is a cycle, and Allah s.w.t. is fair to us all. Know within yourself that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

What you're doing is a calling. Nothing is more noble than saving lives.

Kit Pryde said...

hello dear!! selamat hari raya, sorry takde opportunity to go visit you and yours during raya as i usually have, last year you were still in UK and i was heavily pregnant, but still managed to go over, this year, my mom had her accident plus i was in Ipoh so couldn't go raya with auntie & uncle...

anyway, just wanted to say, i think you're doing just fine. i think you're doing great, knowing you.

love you lots. and btw, i might be travelling an hour back and forth to work too from next year. but that's still up in the air. :)

will update you when we know for sure.

Dr. Aneesa said...

im on supplements to gain weight. haha~

cepatla abes stahun ni....

as u said, enjoying work...but so tiring...

Anonymous said...

help help....
seriesly tgh confused whether I should work in UK or Malaysia... rasanya kalo lepas dua tahun dah kerja kat UK sama tak experience wise dgn budak yg dah kerja 2 tahun kat mesia?

Dengarnye kalo buat surgical rotation kat Msia kene buat appendicectomy etc.... kat uk jgn harap la nak berangan buat menda2 alah ni.....

nak tanya ... pernah tak rasa menyesal sbb balik mesia? and also pernah tak rasa menyesal sbb tinggalkan UK????

rasanye kalo lepas 2 tahun balik mesia, competent ke nak jd MO??? I thought tetgh rotation obg aku kene deliver baby pastu kene buat episiotomy repair, sbb tak leh get hold of senior, mampus la aku... experience camni mana nak dapat kat UK ye dak...

the only indication for me to work here is to get extra money so I can jumpstart my life in Malaysia... and also akan guna duit tu nak buat external exams like mrcp kat singapore... tapi dengarnya govt dah start nak derecognise mrcp... so pointless la kan kalo kumpul duit banyak2 tapi tak dapat buat exam tu...
skang tgh fikir nak kerja setahun je kat UK, so i will only cover medicine and surgery, the other 3 rotations (obg, paeds and ortho) kat mesia... boleh ke cross2 cam tu???

in general am inclined of going back ... tapi rasa takut sangat kalo dah balik mesia tetiba rasa regret...

Mintak tolong sket boleh? tolong buat reflection thought sket psl kerja kat mesia setakat ni... and also pasal prosepect nak further masters kat mesia... mintak tolong eh

*am thinking of filling in the mmc form which is due in a week's time,.. should i change my mind later , will just inform them am not gonna work here... (matilah kene sepok dek undgraduate office sbb gatal apply)

Anonymous said...

msg kat atas tu dr saya,
mr. scary_movie

Anonymous said...

rasanye kalo lepas 2 tahun balik mesia, competent ke nak jd MO??? I thought tetgh rotation obg aku kene deliver baby pastu kene buat episiotomy repair, sbb tak leh get hold of senior, mampus la aku... experience camni mana nak dapat kat UK ye dak...

salah kat atas tu, i mean "rasanye kalo lepas 2 tahun kerja kat UK, competent ke nak jd MO???"

mr. scary_movie

Hani Izhar said...

Anonymous : Thanks for your words of encouragement! I'll keep them in mind.

Kit : I know this is a bit overdue (since I saw you last weekend) but selamat hari raya to you too (although bulan Syawal dah lepas). Love you lots!

Niesa : hehehe....what can I say...being a HO is the best diet plan, if you ask me..

mr. scary_movie : read my next entry, ok?