Friday, September 28, 2007

It's been almost two weeks of working life, there's only one way to describe it:

*Penat gilerrrrrr sehhh!!!!!!!*

Hospital Kuala Pilah's not that big, but there are 3 medical wards (Yup, I'm doing my medical posting first) and I happen to be on the one that's always 'active' (meaning that it accepts patients everyday, rain or shine, contrary to the other 2 wards where they take turns being 'active' and 'passive').

It's been tiring, it's been fun. There are good times, there are bad times. There are times when you get scolded by the consultants, there are times when you joke with them. Same goes for the nurses...actually the nurses are wonderful on the ward..they've been the ones who watched over me.

So far, so good, alhamdulillah.

Someone named 'Anonymous' posted a comment in my previous entry entitled 'Posting', and this is my reply to you, whoever you are:

You said that you're 'selling [your]self extremely short working with people who were formerly [your] schoolmates and had very poor medical education in countries like Ukraine etc,and they were very substandard students in school'....let me tell you this, just because you go to a renowned medical school, where ever it is does not make you a good doctor by default. Just because I graduated from the UK, from the place where I brushed shoulders with the authors of 'Kumar and Clark' does not make me the best houseman that ever graced Hospital Kuala Pilah. Being a doctor means that you're a student for life, and learning does not stop the moment you graduate from medical school.

And seriously, you don't need to be an excellent student to be a doctor. Brains is not the only requirement, you need to be able to work hard and have interest in people. The people whom you think were substandard may one day be renowned doctors in various fields. One thing I learned is that it really doesn't matter who or how you were in school, and it doesn't define your future. It's how you build yourself up afterwards.

I'm sorry if I sound too critical, but one word of advice : don't come back to Malaysia with the mindset that everything here is 'substandard', be it people or how things are done. It's just different, we'd have to adapt, but it's true no matter where you go. True, there's a lot of bureaucracy here, people who are your superior in rank sometimes act like they're at the top of the social strata. Just give them no mind. Coming back with the misconception that you're better than your 'substandard' peers will cause a lot of damage, all of them to yourself. To put it mildly, you'd be 'fed to the dogs'.

So far, I've not regretted my decision to come back.

But hey, that's just me saying. And I just finished my 2 weeks 'tagging' period. Starting my first on-call tomorrow. Let's see if I change my mind afterwards.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didnt realise the comment until u point it out.

Upon reading it, MY JAW DROPPED!

could not believe those mentality exist.could not.

kEn said...

Hani,

Glad to hear that you're doing well. And at the same time I'm so proud of you for indirectly backing me up.

Yes, I do agree with you. Those studying in ukraine are not as weak as ppl think off. I've seen much worse students/HO when I was doing my elective posting. And suprisingly they're educated locally or in UK.

All the best anyway!

Anonymous said...

well thanks for you take on the matter hani.Definitely enlightening and its good to hear another person's opinion though i thought it was a little bit too *frank*.hahaha..anyway..i appreciate what u said..and i will give it some serious thought..i guess u are right..it all depends on the mindset..and honestly speaking..after being abroad for so long..its hard to change..so i suppose..when the time comes i shall do some soul searching and decide if im prepared to take the route back home..or seek an alternative;for the better or worse..i will take it as a challenge!

GOOD LUCK!

Hani Izhar said...

ken : hehe I WAS backing you up. Although we haven't been keeping in touch that much these years I know you're one of those medical students who take med school really seriously..

anonymous person : i'm sorry if what i said came out a bit too strongly..not really used to mincing my words very much..
Anyways, I think I can understand how you feel. Coming back to Malaysia was a very scary step for me, the anticipation that everything would be different terrified me to no end!. But once you get into the system it becomes natural after a while. Of course, I still haven't gotten used to the whole idea where the consultant shouts at everyone in sight threatening to throw his shoe at everyone. I just take it with a pinch of salt, as long as i know i'm trying my best it's fine with me. Anyways, all the best with you, I'm sure things will turn out fine no matter what you choose to do.