Sunday, September 18, 2005

A review on 'Pride and Prejudice' (aka 'Hah! I told you so!!')

(Word of caution : The person writing this is a die-hard fan of Jane Austen and the 1995 BBC dramatization of Pride and Prejudice. There will be a lot of criticism in this piece, so if you're faint-hearted, please do not read further. Don't say I didn't warn you. )


The new 'Pride and Prejudice' movie was released for public viewing last Thursday. Can't really recall what the comment was on the movie poster, but I won't sport your intelligence. I recall my vehement refusal to watch the new movie when I last wrote about it, and until yesterday I still objected strongly towards contributing even a single penny towards the movie. But when a few friends wanted to go and watch it yesterday night, I went along. It was Friday night, and I had nothing else to do. Besides, I was curious.

Spent 4.20 pounds on the ticket (thank God for concessions!) and we sat almost at the front row (no, the cinema's not like the one in Malaysia, where sitting in front will result in the inability to move your neck afterwards).

It was the longest 2 hours of my life. When the movie started, I think the first expression on my face was a wince. My thoughts (or rather, objections) on the movie are as below (it's easier to list them down, I think..):

1) Everyone rushed through their lines. I know it's hard to squeeze everything into a 2-hour movie, but it gave the impression that none of the characters paused to even think of what they were saying or going to say.

2) The Bennett family was portrayed as a family living in poverty (well, almost). Living conditions were almost pitiable, Mr. Bennett looked as if he's never owned a comb before (Donald Sutherland's talent was totally wasted). They seemed almost savage, no traces of a genteel family whatsoever. As I understand it, the reason why the Bennett sisters were considered 'poor' was because their father's estate was entailed away from the female line, and thus they had little to inherit from. Although they were not well-off, they lived comfortably, NOT as how it was portrayed in this new movie.

3) As Austen wrote it, out of the five Bennett sisters, Jane and Elizabeth were the mature and sensible ones and were regarded highly by people in general, Kitty and Lydia were the wild sisters, and Mary somewhat ostentatious. There is a marked difference between all the sisters. In the movie, I thought all of them were equally ridiculous....Mrs. Bennett wasn't particularly impressive either. Come to think of it, EVERYONE was ridiculous.

4) Bingley in the movie looked like a silly chap who didn't have his own mind. And where is the chemistry between him and Jane? They were more like two teenagers infatuated with each other.

5) Wickham didn't seem like a real villain to me. The character's on-screen time was too short. The whole scandal between Lydia and him as well as the story involving Darcy's sister just went unnoticed. It did not leave much impact.

6) Mr. Collins was so kayu.

7) Mr. Darcy.....was he a proud man? He was more like your average rich man who was misunderstood by everyone. And what's with the puppy-dog eyes? I was quite disappointed with the fact that they didn't portray him as how it was in the book. But, as I said before, Colin Firth IS Mr. Darcy, so anyone else's effort would be futile.

8) The only good point about this movie was that they made it more like a comedy (although it was ridiculous more than anything), and thus the average person (who's not an ardent Austenite like yours truly) would enjoy it nonetheless.

Jane Austen must be turning in her grave. Judging from how the movie was, she must be turning over and over again (macam ayam kena panggang atas api kat Kenny Rodgers tu...metaphorically speaking, that is, I mean no disrespect).

Throughout the movie, there were a few times when I closed my eyes/closed my ears/slapped my forehead/buried my head between my knees/shook my fist at the screen. Most of the time I looked at my watch. Couldn't wait for the movie to end.

As I said, it was the longest 2 hours of my life......hmmm....I think I'll spend my time tonight watching the BBC version...5 and a half hours of pure pleasure =)

No comments: