Thursday, March 10, 2005

Hospital attachment : Episode 2; Patient cannulation : Part deux

Started the 2nd clinical attachment last Monday. God is kind, I'm attached to the hospital just 2 minutes' away (the student accommodation is just behind the hospital). So it's just rolling out of bed and walk to the hospital for me.

Doing surgical rotation now. Before I met my consultant on Tuesday, I was quite nervous. Reports had it that he has quite a temper, and loves to ask anatomy questions (as all surgeons do). Since my med school seems to think that its students would take their own initiative to study anatomy - they don't emphasize it in the curriculum, yet expect us to know it - I was understandably nervous, enough to actually dust my anatomy textbooks and read a thing or two. Talk abt negative reinforcement!

However, when I met the consultant on Tuesday, I though that he's quite one of the jolliest persons I know. With a cynical sense of humour added to his personality (now, THAT's the kind of humour I recognize!). He's undoubtedly busy, I expect him to be running from one hospital to the other doing surgeries, so my firm mates and I will be with the rest of the team members most of the time. Looks like it's going to be quite a relaxed firm, which is a welcomed change, I really need to do some studying (have started thinking abt 3rd year finals, which is unusual for me at this time of the year, must be one of the oddities just like London's weather and the tsunami that just happened; or perhaps, miraculously, I've come to my senses)

Had to cannulate a patient yesterday. My second time. Thankfully enough, my hands were not shaking as much as the first time. Got it at the first attempt. I remember my first time experience. Had to cannulate a confused elderly lady at the A&E, God bless her. She was quite confused and a bit distressed for being admitted, but was really nice abt me attending to her. My hands literally shook, and it didn't help when blood started pouring out before I could attach the bung to the venflon, and blood started messing the floor. Between the lady and myself, she was the braver one, by far. She moaned a bit when I had to prick her skin, and kept asking if it was over. I kept saying "A little bit more, you're doing very well...". I think I was saying that to myself more than to her actually. I REALLY needed the encouragement. And when I was done, I told her "Well done, you did excellent!".

That statement was definitely directed at myself. You can't imagine my exultation at the time!

Anyway, the main thing is : NEVER panic. Always stay calm. The minute you start showing signs of distress, the patient will be doubly so.

Looking forward to next week...Will be going home for the Easter holidays! Can't wait to see everyone at home! It's been just too long....(well actually, the last time I went back was last Christmas holidays....so much of trying to be an independent young adult).

No comments: